Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Craig's Destruction

Last Friday night, this was part of my basement. Our cleaning company (who will go unnamed for now, but will likely be named loudly later) left the house on Friday with an overflowing toilet bowl and a stuck flapper. Also, for extra bonus points, they left a gas burner on the stove open, with no flame. This was shortly after 9AM.

Throughout the day, my house slowly filled up with water and gas. My neighbor noticed the smoke alarms going off (from the gas, no doubt) almost immediately after the cleaning crew left. He called the police, but they couldn't do anything and didn't know how to reach me.

When Tisha got home just after 7, she was faced with this. A house full of gas, four yelling and frightened cats (who were otherwise unharmed, thankfully), a fine coating of water on every floor upstairs, and a torrential downpour in the rec room downstairs.

The ceiling caved in just before 8. You can see part of it hanging from my treadmill. All of this got rained on.

Now my house is pretty much gutted. Upstairs all the floors are pulled, as it all needed replacing. Downstairs has all the drywall pulled. The furniture's moved out, and we're living in an apartment for two moths while this gets fixed.

The cleaning company denies any responsibility.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Past experience has shown that a photo of Maddy (also known as "the nuclear option") guarantees a win. I figured I had this week locked up, but I had to vote for you. Wow.....

Have you pointed lawyers at them yet?

/rl

Stace said...

Right now I'm dealing with State Farm and the contractors only. I offered the cleaners a pass if they simply didn't charge me for the cleaning and covered my deductible. $638 total. Nope, nothing.

We'll talk to an attorney next week. The more I think about it, and the more I look at the timing of events including my neighbor's statements, the more I believe they intentionally turned the gas on in the hopes the place would blow and cover up the horrendous mistake they made. The alarms were going off within 5 minutes of them leaving.

Ryan said...

Wow. It sure seems like a stretch, but why else would the gas be on?

Wow.

/rl