Sunday, September 27, 2009

Mike's "On the Verge"

The Sapp Brothers truck stop at Highway 50 and I-680 has an iconic water tower that has been around as long as I can remember. It looks like a large coffee pot. My first memories of it are from trips to Gretna to see relatives. It and Gretna seemed so far away then, but the city has grown. It's “on the verge” of a new look.

Coffee Ready Yet?

Most of us who travel by it, are used to its red, white and black colors. The last couple of weeks, it has been under this large paint curtain with a coat of white on it. It is an odd site. I'm sure the guy working on it, feels “on the verge” as well! I should mention that Sapp Brothers is a chain, and that there are many of these water towers in the mid-West.

3 comments:

cluening said...

There's a rather sad Sapp Bros. that I sometimes drive past out here in the Illinois area - its coffee pot is just a big flat sign that is shaped like a drawing of the water tower version.

It always makes me kind of sad to see.

Ryan said...

By sunset today the top and the spout had been painted. I considered pulling off to get a photo of it...

/rl

Michael said...

The top was red this AM!