Monday, April 26, 2010

Craig's Density

An idea hit me on the drive in, so I took some time to put in this late entry.

Storage has increased in density tremendously over my lifetime. On the bottom, a 1.44MB Double High Density floppy disk. The most prevalent form of storage when I was in my teens. This week, Sony announced they were going to stop making floppies -- they've had a long life.

On the top, a 16GB Micro SD card. It holds the equivalent of 11,378 of the big-ass floppies underneath, with no moving parts.

Price for the MicroSD card? $30. Price for 11,378 floppies in 1988? About $1.50 per floppy.

Density rules.

Penny for scale and cool reflective properties from my slave flash.

2 comments:

cluening said...

But... what's the capacity of the penny?

Ryan said...

1 bit - heads or tails.

Or 0.08 bits, using the monetary definition.

I'll strike the poll and put up a new one.

/rl