Saturday, August 29, 2009

Mike's Questionable

I know we had an entry with cucumbers just a few weeks ago, but when I was contemplating this weeks topic, I happened to be picking some and found this critter wedged in the fence. Eureka!

Questionable Fruit

Is a cucumber a fruit? That is questionable. Most of my relatives say it is a vegetable. The definition of fruit is: the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant. That makes a cucumber, tomato, or even a squash a fruit.

The definition of a vegetable is, however: edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits of any of numerous herbaceous plant. Hence one could argue the case either way or that the cucumber is both.

1 comment:

Stace said...

I believe a cucumber is a squash, and that squashes are neither vegetables nor fruits, but squashes.

But I could be wrong.

Regardless, that's a hell of a find, and a great photo!