Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cory's Vacant Lot

Out here in the Chicago suburbs, vacant lots are oddly common - there are a lot of small houses that are being bought, torn down, and replaced with houses that just barely fit on their lots. There's even one a block or two away that just became a "vacant" lot (really, a construction zone) a couple of weeks ago that I thought about taking a picture of.

But, I didn't.

This weekend was "clean up the garden" weekend at our house, which involved pulling up tomato cages, tossing some rotting cucumbers to the squirrels, and covering the garden in lawnmower-run-over leaves. Now it is just a big, vacant plot of land in our back yard, waiting until next spring to come along so it can be covered in tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, corn, pumpkins, and whatever else we try to plant next year.

There was one other vacant lot I would have liked to take a picture of near me a while back: in the middle of a big empty lot behind a strip mall, there was a single port-a-potty standing watch. Every time we drove past it I pointed it out to Lis and tried to convince her it was a TARDIS. Alas, she didn't believe me, and it traveled back to the land from whence it came before I could take a picture to prove it.

1 comment:

Lis said...

I have not yet met a port-a-potty that was bigger on the inside!