Sunday, November 22, 2009

Craig's Jerry Rigged

I'm a sysadmin. Kludges are a big part of my life. What is a kludge but another form of jerry-rigging?

So I've got this 20" iMac that outlived its usefulness as my desktop computer. I thought it would be a good idea if I mounted it in front of my treadmill so I can watch TV while walking. The problem, of course, is that the 20" iMac (or, at least, my generation of it) had no VESA mount options. Enter the jerry-rigging! I found this product online that made use of the cable pass-thru in the iMac's stand to attach a VESA mount! It's a pair of rings that sandwich the mount and the hole in the stand. When screwed tight, It forms a very solid mount. Attaching it to the Peerless monitor stand I bought was trivial, and voila! I now have a 20" iMac mounted perfectly above the treadmill. The base of the stand even makes a nice keyboard tray when I'm not using the keyboard.

Shot with a blue flash, because I'm still trying to get the hang of lighting.

No comments: