Sunday, December 5, 2010

Ryan's "Film"

Back in the bad old days cameras ate a substance called "film." You would feed it a roll, take 12, 24, or 36 photos, extract the roll from the camera's tummy, and send it off to be processed. Some time later you could look at your pictures.

This view shows the winder and frame counter on my old F3. I love that camera, but haven't shot anything with it in a long time.



It looks like this is image number 35,359 on my D300. A 36 shot roll of Fuji Velvia costs $7.00. Processing would add another $10.00, so figure about $0.47 per frame. As mentioned by Cory, electrons are free. It would have cost me over $16,000 to do this on slide film. Wow...

I think I can justify buying myself a D3s now!

Or not.

/rl

2 comments:

FlyingDog said...

But the great things about film cameras are that you had such limited shot counts per roll, forcing you to think more before pressing the shutter.

Ryan said...

Very true. I think I have 5 16gb CF cards in my bag. Each stores 800ish photos. Why worry about details when you can just machinegun the scene and select the keepers later? :)

I do miss that warm feeling of getting home to find a package from B&H with a brick of Velvia in it. CF cards just aren't the same...